Sexual harassment is everywhere. People are not safe from anyone anywhere- they never have been but the only good thing to happen of late is that Indians have started talking about it. Parents, teachers, friends, partners, strangers- it is a nightmare.
Sexual harassment flourishes across social classes. In low-income groups, the harassment goes mostly unreported, reports on incidents of harassment of males are absent, and it takes only a brutal incident perhaps to shake people up. This in turn increases the prejudice against the low-income hypermasculinity, which is often a survival mechanism in itself. In high-income groups, accountability is increasing by the day, though it is going to take a really long time for any sort of balance to be achieved because in most cases the perpetrators are powerful people.
India has consistently ranked as one of the most dangerous places for women in the world.
Experts across disciplines have come to the (obvious) conclusion that the best way to tackle this problem is to start awareness at the grassroots, when the minds are more receptive. Patriarchy starts functioning even before birth and is a vicious cycle.
The best way to proceed is to conduct crowdfunding campaigns in low-income schools. High-income schools have started with gender sensitization of late, though of course, it is going to be some time before it actually picks up and becomes effective. But since such schools have sufficient funds to concentrate on such workshops if they want to, the low-income schools often lack the impetus or the requisite sensitization to conduct such workshops in the first place.
Workshops, of course, involve spending money. Crowdfunding, however, can help in these ventures a lot. In fact, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Conducting workshops in low-income school groups is a very serious business indeed. Which demands that the fundraising profile be put up in the best crowdfunding platforms in India in order not only to raise the visibility but also to convey the seriousness of the issue.
- Understand that by running a crowdfunding campaign you are actually raising awareness on the issue. Sexual harassment is not a topic the average middle-class, your chief donor base, will be comfortable with. This demands some brilliance in presentation skills.
- If you are a non-profit who is looking into crowdfunding campaigns, the best thing is to link your crowdfunding page in the crowdfunding websites to your own website documenting your work and the statistics to support that your work has meaning (the Indian middle class more often than not thinks the hoopla around sexual harassment is meaningless).
- Include videos if possible documenting the sufferings of young children from backward families and the impact your work is causing in their lives. This will help you get organizational sponsors if you tick off the right boxes.
- If you are a first-timer, you need to put up a concrete plan showing that you know what you are doing- all the necessary permissions and paperwork done, the logistics of the trainees and the workshop conductors sorted, etc.
While running a crowdfunding campaign in low-income schools is a tricky process, it is the need of the hour. Fundraising India, with its minimal platform charge, easy user interface, its popularity, and the super-friendly support team are there to help you 24*7.